Sunday, November 10, 2019

Hearing Loss


Admitted weakness number 34 of myself and high on the lost of so many others who reflect;  many of us don't hear well.
Image result for free images of an ear"

Shake my hand, tell me your name, chances are I  forget your name by the time we exchange pleasantries.

Many years ago, I tried to put your name into a bucket, A, B, or C.  I visualized something you said, made it rhyme, put your name into a relevant bucket, and visualized you in that bucket through rhyme.  Somewhat worked, mostly not.

Met a couple last night who had common connections with my wife and I, meaningful stories that make me want to learn more.

Yup, this morning, my name buckets are empty.

I remember their stories, remember why I want to connect with them, what I want to learn from them later, and of course giving me a reason to share dinner someday with my wife and some new friends.

Screams loud for me; slow down.

My DISC assessment already tells me what I need to know, I am impulsive.  Too quick to judge, too quick to the next topic, so much to learn.

In a Physical Therapists world, listening is a top 5% requirement.  First visit, second, third and so on, we are challenged to find ways to listen better, it's a full time pursuit.

In order to really fix my hearing loss, today I have two missions:
Get my buckets filled; and explore best strategies to listen...... to understand

After all, dinners with new friends are better than dinners alone!

Robert Babb, PT, MBA
An IvyRehab company, PTW is staffed with Physical Therapists who have earned the Direct Access Privileges (no prescription needed).  Helping folks achieve, The Physical Therapy and Wellness Institute has 12 locations open early and staying late;   Lansdale, Quakertown, Montgomeryville, West Norriton, Glenside, Harleysville, Souderton, Hatfield, Horsham, Collegeville, Royersford, Newtown Square, PA.  

Since 2002, PTW has helped folks achieve higher levels of function or performance providing evidence-based care with industry best experiences.

Refer yourself today at 215 855 9871 to see any of our PT providers for preventative the proven safe help with your aches and pains, no prescription is needed.