I know that as a physical therapist, I often hear from injured patients, “I want to get back to gardening again.” With that being said here are some tips for safe and pain-free gardening.
- Stretch first! Do a little light stretching of your quadriceps, hamstrings, and piriformis.
- This helps to reduce the strain on your low back and knees
- Avoid bending at your back!
3. Use assistive devices such as foam pads to kneel on or a low stool to sit on to avoid bending over the whole time and stressing your back!
4. Watch the length of time you do this activity!
- Avoid squatting, kneeling, or bending over for more than about 15-20 minutes at a time.
PTW’s Stephanie McDougal, PT, DPT provides expert clinical care and is a vestibular/concussion specialist at our Montgomeryville Clinic, located in the Costco Shopping center on Upper State Road, just off route 309. For an initial evaluation, call Steph at 215 855 1160 today for an appointment as soon as possible!